Friday night Steven took Jared to the emergency room because he was having sharp pain in his right abdomen. We feared appendicitis so Steven took him in. By the time the doctor was in to see him, the pain was gone. They did some tests and it was decided that he was a little dehydrated and he had some gas. They put him on a clear liquid diet for 24 hours. He made it nearly that long before we had caved in to his pleas for some real food. Saturday and Sunday he acted normal. Monday night about 6 o'clock we had just gotten back from a walk around the block and Jared lays down on the couch and goes to sleep. That's not too unusual for him, but later when I take him to bed he is in some pain and says his toe hurts. I don't worry too much about that. Tuesday morning, today, I go in to check on him because it is after 7 and he is not awake, which is very unusual especially considering his early night the night before. Jared had thrown up in the night and not come and gotten me. Then he had gone back to sleep. The throw up is a little green, which worries me because I know for appendicitis if your throw up is green that is a bad sign. He has a fever and is shaking some. I am now worried. I get clean clothes and put him in my bed. He had part of a popsicle for breakfast(clear liquid diet again). He threw that up in less than an hour. Then I gave him some white grape juice crystal light, which he threw up pretty quickly as well. It is a little green. He throws up again a few hours later--still a little green. So, now that you have heard the whole gross story, should I be worried about appendicitis, or is it just the run of the mill upset stomach? Poor Jared!
Tuesday, April 8, 2008
Diagnosis Please
Friday night Steven took Jared to the emergency room because he was having sharp pain in his right abdomen. We feared appendicitis so Steven took him in. By the time the doctor was in to see him, the pain was gone. They did some tests and it was decided that he was a little dehydrated and he had some gas. They put him on a clear liquid diet for 24 hours. He made it nearly that long before we had caved in to his pleas for some real food. Saturday and Sunday he acted normal. Monday night about 6 o'clock we had just gotten back from a walk around the block and Jared lays down on the couch and goes to sleep. That's not too unusual for him, but later when I take him to bed he is in some pain and says his toe hurts. I don't worry too much about that. Tuesday morning, today, I go in to check on him because it is after 7 and he is not awake, which is very unusual especially considering his early night the night before. Jared had thrown up in the night and not come and gotten me. Then he had gone back to sleep. The throw up is a little green, which worries me because I know for appendicitis if your throw up is green that is a bad sign. He has a fever and is shaking some. I am now worried. I get clean clothes and put him in my bed. He had part of a popsicle for breakfast(clear liquid diet again). He threw that up in less than an hour. Then I gave him some white grape juice crystal light, which he threw up pretty quickly as well. It is a little green. He throws up again a few hours later--still a little green. So, now that you have heard the whole gross story, should I be worried about appendicitis, or is it just the run of the mill upset stomach? Poor Jared!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



6 comments:
I would say appendicitis or a bad case of the stomach flu. I had to go to 3 different doctors before they realized it was my appendix. . . ask him if he is having a lot of sharp pain in his lower right side. I DEFINITELY did! I also had sharp pains down my legs and arms. I'm so sorry your little one is sick. I hope he gets better soon.
Man, that does not sound like fun at all. I usually have a 24 hour rule. If I am worried about an ear infection or whatever, after 24 hours if the symptoms aren't better, and especially if they are worse, I go to the doctor. Wishing you the best. Sick kids are the worst!
I am no pro- but when my sis had appendicitis she didn't throw up and could not sleep through the pain at all. she also had rebound pain- but that may be pretty hard to check for on jared! tell him that I hope he gets better soon- and that I hope he's good enough to make it to church on sunday! good luck. I HATE sick kids and always think of the worst! Right now Zeb has a cough and I keep imagining its pneumonia or bronchitis.
Yuck. That stinks. Hopefully he gets better soon and that he doesn't have appendicitis or anything else that may require surgery.
I would say, number one, trust your instincts. Take him to the doctor in the morning and make them know that you are really concerned. Sometimes they don't remember that you have to deal with this all day and in the middle of the night as well. Its always better to be safe than sorry.
I hope he gets feeling better. Poor little Jared
I would definately take him to the doctor again. Maybe the children's hospital. I remember when they thought I had appendicitis when I was six. It hurt really bad and I slept a lot. My mom finally took me to the doctor after a day. I had my appendix out immediatly. It turned out to not be appendicitis, but I had all the symptoms for it. I hope he doesn't have what I actually had. It was no fun. I also hope he gets better a lot faster then I did. It's no fun to be sick when your a kid.
Post a Comment